Dangolla

Friday, December 1, 2006

Heading to Ratnapura

The last time I wrote a blog entry mere hours before leaving for a long trip I complained about the overstuffed condition of my backpack. This time the situation is similar, though this time the bag is lighter and filled mostly with bulk - running shoes and a sleeping bag. I am going to Ratnapura with the tentative plan of seeing the opening ceremony of the Sri Pada pilgrimage season, involving a procession from the Maha Saman Devale to the top of the mountain, and since I haven't been able to get clear information about whether that is a one or two day trip, I am bringing a sleeping bag. Otherwise I limited myself to packing only those things that I wouldn't mind carrying up the mountain in case I decide to come down the shorter Hatton side. So much of this trip is of the form "I'll get there and see what happens," but at the very least I'll get to see the Maha Saman Devale and its legendary beauty.